This is Luton is a one stop shop for young Irish and Polish people who are considering moving to or who have just arrived in Luton. It provides essential information and access to support services across Luton. It helps to get support services connected with young Irish and Polish and the issues they are facing.
Close to 250 people a day left Ireland in the past year as emigration continued to soar. Almost 16,000 headed to Britain, according to figures from the Department of Work and Pensions, which show the nationality of new applicants for national insurance numbers. Unemployment has risen highest at 8.5% for those under the age of 25, indicating that this age group are most likely to immigrate.
Luton has a long and proud history of welcoming arrivals to the town from overseas and, with more than 100 languages being spoken in the town and it is one of the most vibrant multicultural environments in the country. Luton has a large Irish community, as well as people from all over Europe, Pakistan, Kashmir, Bangladesh, India, Africa, the West Indies, Vietnam and Bosnia. Luton’s culture, entertainment, shopping and nightlife benefit greatly from this rich variety of communities, with a wide range of markets and restaurants, some of the most culturally diverse outside London.
- Be prepared.
- Do as much research as possible before you go.
- Buy a return ticket so you can come home if things don’t work out.
- Check online for job vacancies and local rent prices so you‘ll know what to expect.
- Bring contact details for family or friends in your country of destination.
- Make sure you can use your Irish bank cards.
- Use credit cards, ATM cards and travellers cheques rather than cash.
- Bring sufficient funds to support yourself until you find a job and have access to money for unplanned or unexpected circumstances.
- Bring medical prescriptions and medical records if you need regular medication or have an existing medical condition.
- Leave your contact details with friends and family in Ireland.
If you would like further information about moving to Luton – visit This is Luton